Survivors’ groups have criticised a “lack of progress” in the work of a public inquiry into historical allegations of child abuse in Scotland.
They said they felt let down by delays which looked ‘shambolic’ and suggested incompetence.
The inquiry, announced in December 2014, formally began its work on Thursday, although no panel members have been appointed.
It followed a series of disclosures of abuse in childcare institutions.
In May 2015, leading QC, Susan O’Brien was appointed to chair the inquiry, which will have statutory powers to compel witnesses to give evidence.
Although its work has officially started, no hearings are yet planned. Only a website has been launched.
Ms O’Brien QC said she would give full details of how the inquiry would operate once panel members had been appointed by the Scottish government.