The Metropolitan police commissioner, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, has denied his force’s investigation into allegations of a murderous Westminster paedophile ring is a “shambles”.
In his first public remarks on Operation Midland, Hogan-Howe did, however, say that detectives had found it difficult to corroborate some of the allegations of a key witness known as “Nick”.
He told LBC radio on Wednesday: “We will do whatever we need to do to get to the bottom of this. It’s taken a while to get this far but the trouble with these inquiries is often the victims and witnesses don’t have total recall of the information, the detail of the offence, and clearly we have struggled at times to corroborate with such a passage of time some of the things that have been said.”
Scotland Yard has faced pressure over the handling of Operation Midland, its investigation into allegations that Conservative politicians murdered three boys as part of a Westminster-based paeodphile ring 40 years ago.
The force has faced particular scrutiny after a senior investigating officer described Nick’s allegations as “credible and true” at the outset of the investigation last December.
Read more http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/23/westminster-paedophile-ring-inquiry-not-a-shambles-says-police-chief
The Metropolitan Police is creating a team of 90 officers and staff to tackle the increasing workload resulting from allegations of historical child abuse.
The new team will handle 29 separate allegations that previous inquiries were blocked because prominent people were identified as suspects.
It will also deal with work resulting from Justice Lowell Goddard’s child abuse public inquiry.
It will consist of reorganised staff rather than new recruits.
The BBC understands the controversial Operation Midland – which is investigating claims of child abuse by establishment figures – will continue as a “standalone operation” because it is also examining allegations of child killings.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is to manage a further 12 investigations detailing allegations of corruption in the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) and one allegation detailing corruption in Essex Police. All relate to child sex offences dating from the 1970s to the 2000s.
The investigations are to be conducted by the MPS Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) and Essex’s Professional Standards Directorate (PSD) but will be overseen, and have the terms of the investigation set, by the IPCC. The majority of the investigations stem from allegations made by retired MPS officers.
This is in addition to the 17 investigations announced earlier this year. All relate to allegations about:
Anyone else wondering about this?
Set a thief to catch a thief – or cover-up for a thief?
A former civil servant at the centre of allegations that a paedophile ring once operated in the heart of Westminster has been arrested.
The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was questioned earlier this year on suspicion of assaulting a boy in London in the late 1970s.
It is claimed that he was part of a ring that had links to top civil servants and public figures. He also allegedly visited the now notorious Elm Guest House, a VIP brothel in London.
The man’s alleged victim spoke to the Metropolitan Police earlier this year to say he was abused on several occasions, beginning when he was 12.
He told detectives the man first approached him at a London museum and enticed him back to his house. He went on to abuse him over two years.
The alleged victim also claimed the man introduced him to two others, who also abused him. All three men have been arrested and bailed until October while police inquiries continue.
The alleged victim described how his life spiralled out of control after the attacks, saying: ‘I was abused… when I was 12 and it happened on about ten to 15 occasions. I have lived with it for years. After this man abused me I spent time in care homes and later spent time in jail. I told police I was abused shortly after the attack and I have also told them on other occasions.
Scotland Yard has revealed the creation of a new unit of armed police officers who will be used to tackle the threat of a gun attack in Britain.
The SAS-style counter-terror unit will comprise of 130 specialist firearms officers (CTSFOs) and will be equipped with new weapons.
They will also receive training in other counter-terror tactics such as storming buildings to rescue hostages and fast-roping from helicopters.
Their formation comes as police and other emergency services carry out a full-scale counter terror exercise in central London on Tuesday morning, following the Tunisian massacre which took the lives of a suspected 30 holidaying Brits.
The new armed unit has trained alongside the army and will be deployed in response to shootings, like the Tunisian attack, and potential sieges which could develop from an assault.
read more http://rt.com/uk/270628-london-sas-anti-terror/
As the result of a Freedom of Information request it has emerged that the London Met Police are compiling a database of almost 3 million people. To put this into perspective, there are currently 8 million people living in the capital.
The database, a bespoke system call the “Facial Recognition System (FRS)” began gathering images in 2009.